Objectives/Guide Questions 03
Matter and Energy
To demonstrate your knowledge of the Objectives/Guide Questions provide a detailed answer to each of the Objectives/Guide Questions. Each answer must be in your own words and supported by a reference. The reference for written materials must have a title and page number. Internet references should have title and URL or Address.
A. Copy the Following Questions and Paste into Your Seminar Report:
1. Select and copy the questions. Place the cursor to the left of "Part-A" and drag to the end of the last question. When the questions have been highlighted, copy and paste into seminar report.
2. Open your seminar report, in MS Word.
B. When answering the question place your answer after the question or part of question.
C. Where do I get the information to answer the Objectives/Guide Questions?
a. Google key words in Objectives/Guide Questions.
Part A - Objectives/ Guide Questions
1. Name the four states of matter and describe physical and chemical changes of matter.
2. State, and explain the “Laws of thermodynamics”, that describe what happens to energy as it is changed from one form to another.
3. Define what is meant by energy efficiency and how is it measured?
a) Indicate several methods to improve energy efficiency.
4. For the following conventional energy sources describe how they are obtained, advantages and disadvantages, percent currently used, and date of depletion.
a) Identify procedure needed to obtain and refine Petrochemicals, specifically crude oil. What region or country has most of the world's oil supplies?
b) Identify procedure needed to obtain and refine of coal. What region or country has most of the world's oil supplies?
c) Identify procedure needed to obtain and refine Natural Gas. What region or country has most of the world's Natural Gas supplies?
5. For the following alternate energy sources identify or indicate how produced, advantages and disadvantages, percent currently used, and date of depletion.
The following links lead to charts that will help you identify depletion dates: How Long - 1 and How Long - 2
a) Hydrogen gas - List the advantages and disadvantages of using hydrogen gas for heating and to propel vehicles.
b) Describe how Fission nuclear power plant works. (Be detailed.). Also identify the radioactive materials used, and the hazards that they pose. Include an explanation of what atoms and isotopes are.
c) Describe how Fusion reactors work. Include the radioactive materials used, and the hazards that they pose.
d) Describe how photovoltaic Power, Solar cells, work and identify devices using solar cells. Also discuss how can solar cells be used at night?
e) Indicate the areas that have the greatest potential for hydropower. What are the major disadvantages of hydropower?
f) Describe how power is produced from the wind. What areas have the greatest potential for wind power? What are the major disadvantages of wind power?
g) Describe how power is produced from Biomass. What are the major disadvantages of using Biomass?
Include these Guide Questions and answers in your seminar report unless "Taking Test".