Objectives/Guide Questions 05
Atmosphere and Climate
To demonstrate your knowledge of the Objectives/Guide Questions provide a detailed answer to each of the Objectives/Guide Questions. Each answer must be in your own words and supported by a reference. The reference for written materials must have a title and page number. Internet references should have title and URL or Address.
A. Copy the Following Questions and Paste into Your Seminar Report:
1. Select and copy the questions. Place the cursor to the left of "Part A" and drag to the end of the last question. When the questions have been highlighted, copy and paste into seminar report.
2. Open your seminar report, in MS Word.
B. When answering the question place your answer after the question or part of question.
C. Where do I get the information to answer the Objectives/Guide Questions?
a. Google key words in Objectives/Guide Questions.
Part A - Objectives/ Guide Questions
1. Identify and discuss the layers of the atmosphere including distance from the earth, average temperature, thickness, and composition.
2. Describe the effects of air pollutants upon plant/animal species.
3. The EPA indicated the four most dangerous indoor air pollutants are; cigarette smoke, formaldehyde, radon-222, ultra-fine particulates. Identify their sources and how to reduce or eliminate their effect.
4. Given the eight major types of outdoor air pollutants identify the source, effects, and diseases associated with air pollution.
a) Describe how smog and photochemical smog is created.
b) Identify the source and effects of Particulates in the atmosphere
c) Describe how the human respiratory system works, and helps protect us from air pollution?
5. Describe how acid rain forms and indicate how it affects plant, and animal life.
6. Describe the activities believed to cause global cooling, and explain how it can be prevented.
a) What are the beneficial and harmful effects of global cooling?
b) Is it a FACT that humans are responsible for global cooling? Explain
7. Describe the activities believed to cause global warming, and explain how it can be prevented.
a) What are the beneficial and harmful effects of global warming?
b) List at least 3 FACTS that prove that humans are responsible for global warming? Explain
c) Describe the Greenhouse Effect. Be specific include effect and components.
8. Define Weather and Climate and how are weather and climate different.
a) Describe three major factors that affect weather and why is weather so hard to predict.
b) Describe the three major factors that determine how air circulates over the Earth's surface.
c) How do ocean currents, and land masses affect Regional Climates?
d) How has Earth's climate changed over the past 900,000 years.
1) Distinguish between glacial and interglacial periods.
2) Indicate the techniques that scientists use to determine previous climates.
9. Explain how legal and technological methods can be used to reduce air pollution.
10. Describe the location and composition of the ozone layer.
a) Describe the photochemical mechanisms that help to form the ozone layer.
Note: Refer to the following website for assistance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_layer
b) Explain the benefit of the ozone layer to life on earth.
c) Identify at least three ways that some believe the ozone is being depleted?
d) Identify three ways
that some believe could reduce the depletion of the ozone layer.
Include these Guide Questions and answers in your seminar report unless "Taking Test".